Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My Time Flys

I remember being in high school thinking that it would be forever before I graduated. Time just seemed to move so slow. Well, since graduating time seems to move faster and then being married with kids it seems to move double time. As my boys get older they become more independent and it reminds me of how fast time is moving. This hit home with me a few months back when Jessie and I, my oldest, who is seven had to go to the restroom at a local restaurant. We both get up from the table at the same time and head to the restroom and I start to the girls and he goes the opposite direction. I stop and say, "Aren't you coming in here with me," and he looked at me like I was crazy, laughed and said, "NO." And he proceeded to go in the MENS restroom. I just stood there and thought when did he become old enough to go to a PUBLIC restroom without me or his dad? When was the last time he went in the Women's Restroom with his momma? I mean we should all be glad that he prefers the MENS Restroom but he reached a milestone of independence and I missed it. There was no discussion of, 'you are getting older and it is more appropriate for you to start using the Mens Restroom and I know that it will be hard for you to start going by yourself but I will wait for you by the door...'....no that conversation didn't happen....life happened and my son, my first born is becoming a young man. Andy had taking our videos of the kids and put them on the computer and we where watching them and Joshua was less than a year old and Jessie was 3 years old and I was sitting there thinking where did 4 years go? I had heard of a couple that wrote a book about having a empty nest on the radio one night when I was driving and I almost started crying just hearing them talk about it and my youngest is 2! But I know our time with them will fly by and I hope we take advantage of every moment with them...which we honestly don't and we should because their time of wanting to sit in our lap or play a game with us will be gone before we know it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it. Shaylin is almost 5 and I don't remember telling her it was ok to walk into preschool by herself either, but that seems to be the "cool" thing to do these days. She doesn't cry, but I thought I just might the first day she did it.
We have to enjoy it while it lasts, after all we are just stewards of these blessings we call children.
Love ya girl,
Dana