Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Kindergarten

So Andy and I registered Joshua for Kindergarten today. Most of you know that Andy and I have not agreed on when Joshua should start Kindergarten. I wanted him to go next school year. He would be over 5.5 years old. Andy wanted him to wait another year and he would start at 6.5 years old. He thinks Joshua being another year older would be an advantage to him in his education and in sports..I don't completely disagree with that. My opinion was he is already one of the older kids going into Kindergarten. And I wanted to be able to hold him back if the NEED should ever arise in the future and if we held him back at the beginning that would not be an option for us later on. Also, I think he is very ready for Kindergarten and he has a desire to learn.

So I had been praying that what was best for Joshua would be the decision we make for him as to when he should start. And it so happens that because Joshua needs speech therapy it was recommended by his therapist that he would greatly benefit from being in preschool or kindergarten. But none of the preschools but one will take him since he is old enough to be in Kindergarten and we would have to pay out of pocket for his speech therapy and for preschool. So Andy conceded to let him go...He will be able to get speech therapy at school for free and him being in Kindergarten and learning his sounds will be a big help in him learning to say his words correctly.

So, Andy, I am extremely thankful to you for letting Joshua go ahead and go to Kindergarten even though you would rather he wait another year...you are a good daddy!

No comments: